Centerville Ohio History
Washington Township, which includes the city of Centerville, offers residents an unparalleled quality of life. Our award-winning schools offer a wide range of educational opportunities for students of all ages, backgrounds and backgrounds.
There are also a variety of high schools, colleges and universities near Dayton, as well as a number of community organizations. Centerville, Ohio's first city, originally named Washington Township, was founded in 1812 as the home of a farm inn and convention center that continued the tradition of its namesake. Since then, the community has grown considerably to over 32,000 people in an unincorporated area. In the 1970s, there were several locations in the Dayton area, including the Washington County Courthouse and the U.S. House of Representatives in Dayton, Dayton City Hall in Columbus, and several other locations.
The population is distributed throughout the city, with 18.9% 65 years or older and 9.5% under 65 years old. Centreville was founded in 1812 as the home of Odd Fellows Lodge, the oldest surviving structure of its kind in society.
For many years, a man called Hinton was in charge of the major operation, and for even longer he was chief of staff.
Many Centerville residents worked for the company, and Bill provided coffee and donuts for a while for the workers at the back door who used the honor system. Ross then bought the dealership where he had worked as a sales assistant as a teenager. Under the leadership of Norma Ross, he named it after his wife, the wife of the owner of a local grocery store. The Ohio State Region of Chicago awarded him a $100,000 scholarship from the Ohio Department of Commerce for his contributions to Ohio State.
Although the population of the village declined from 263 in 1870 to 218 in 1900 and 180 in 1910 during this period, it continued to offer a wide range of services to the area. It was part of the "Small Town Main Street" era that prevailed in the US in the early 20th century, and was printed in newspapers such as the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune, and the Dayton Daily News.
The shop was located where Panera bread is today, and parking was one of the biggest problems at the time. The store is still on Main Street, just across the street from where Panero's Bread stands today. Montgomery County Records Center and Archives is located on the 6th floor of our historic Reibold building. Our mission is to ensure that all the county government's registers and information resources are kept and accessible to the public. We provide the public with access to all the records and a comprehensive collection of records produced by Montgomery County, as well as the most up-to-date information on the history of the county.
After the war, the newly built Pennsylvania Turnpike drew the largest east-west traffic from the US 40 into Pennsylvania. In the second half of the 19th century the national road fell into disrepair and became primarily an agricultural community. The peak years of the National Road ended with the opening of Centerville, Ohio in 1868, just a few years after the end of World War I.
While Chillicothe was the main thoroughfare of the day, three side roads were built: one to Solon, one to Bainbridge, and one to the southwest through what is now Centerville and its neighboring towns. Two of these early railways had tracks through Bain Bridge and the other through the city.
This was the first time a road was built, a proportion that was not taken into account when the shooter offered an estimate of 2,500 miles. In the early days of the quarries, Centerville was home to a large number of miners and their families, as well as some of their wives and children. As a fast-growing city, the quarry opened in the area, and similar operations were carried out in Solon, Bainbridge and other nearby towns such as Chillicothe. Centville thrived by providing housing and most utilities to the miners, while mine managers preferred to shop at the company's stores.
At that time the area was heavily forested, but in 1922, with the beginning of Lake Lucerne, one of the first residential units in the municipality came.
The land that would later become Centreville was divided by a Quaker named John Cleaver, who sold six plots in April 1819. A few months later, Cleavers, Lambert and Boyer placed an ad in Washington announcing the sale of a number of properties "that are beautifully and conveniently located above the newly laid-out city of Monroe and are inexpensive. Various homes and businesses in the area became the homes of escaped slaves who had traveled from Washington to Uniontown and Pittsburgh.
What they used to make the canal locks was disguised and transported in wagons to Dayton and taken to the Ohio River town of Dayton, where they were locked up. The car was also used to transport slaves from Uniontown and Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C., and then to Cincinnati.